An average game of pickleball lasts between 15 and 25 minutes, with an average match (best of three games) usually taking between half an hour and 75 minutes to complete.
How Long Do Pickleball Games Last?
The answer to the question, ‘how long do pickleball games last’ is similar to the answer to ‘exactly how long is a piece of string?’. The most accurate answer is: it depends! However, most games take between 15-25 minutes and most matches (sets of 2-3 games) take between 30-75 minutes.
A game of pickleball can last very different lengths depending on who is playing and what style. Professional pickleball players might play faster because they have more rhythm and experience; however, recreational players might play faster because there is less on the line.
According to official USAPA rules, a game of pickleball is first to eleven points, with only the serving team being allowed to score.
To win, you have to be two clear points ahead of your opponent—so, if both teams get to 10 points, to win, you have to score 12.
Under these standard rules, the average match time is 15-25 minutes. This is true in pickleball tournaments and among casual and core players who play by the official rules of pickleball.
Casual games might take more or less time as they can be played under slightly different parameters than the official rules of pickleball.
What Affects the Length of a Pickleball Game?
There are several factors that affect how long a game of pickleball lasts.
- Advanced players have longer rallies: Competitive players, professional players, and those with higher skill levels will have longer rallies, as they will make fewer mistakes and rule violations. This can extend the length of the game.
- Beginners make more mistakes: Though this shortens the length of the rallies, it can extend the length of the game, as neither team has the skill to score enough points without losing a point.
- Better-matched teams have longer games: Teams in tightly-matched games will struggle to gain the upper hand.
- Mismatched teams have short games: Mismatched skill levels will lead to shorter games, as one team or player will quickly overcome their weaker opponent.
- Aggressive vs Conservative playing style: Players with an aggressive playing style will tend to have shorter games, as they will go for the dangerous shots that either win a point outright or lose it. More conservative players and those with a strong defense will have longer games as they are harder to break down.
- Singles vs Doubles: Singles games are shorter than doubles matches – this is because doubles teams take up more space on the pickleball court and therefore are harder to get the ball past.
Is There A Limit To How Long a Pickleball Game Can Last?
There is no limit in to how long a game of pickleball can last.
Due to the ‘two clear points’ rule pickleball employs, a competitive game between two evenly-matched players can theoretically last forever!
While there is no limit in pickleball to the length of a game, it is unlikely that one might take more than 30 or 40 minutes. Once you get into ‘two clear points’ territory, it only takes a couple of mistakes or moments of brilliance for a game to suddenly end.
The Longest Pickleball Game Ever Played
In 2011, Justin Lawrence and Jeffrey Baker played a game of pickleball for 24 hours straight.
According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the longest-ever pickleball rally lasted for an incredible 16,046 shots! This record was set by Angelo and Ettore Rosseti.
How Long is a Pickleball Match?
An official pickleball match runs as the best of three games. This means that the shortest matches will take two games to complete, while more competitive games will take three.
- A two-game match will usually last between half an hour and 45 minutes.
- A three-game match can last anywhere between 45 minutes and one hour 15.
How Long are Pickleball Games vs Other Sports?
Compared to tennis, pickleball is a relatively short sport. Men’s tournament matches in tennis are the best of five sets (first to six games), while women’s are the best of three. Best of five matches can last between two and a half and three hours, while even best of three competitions usually take about 90 minutes – double the length of a pickleball match!
Badminton, on the other hand, likes to regard itself as the fastest racket sport in the world! In badminton games, points can be won by both the serving team and the receiving team, making it slightly faster than pickleball – games usually last between 40 and 50 minutes.
Squash matches in competitions last around 45 minutes for men, while women’s matches average just 32 minutes.
Table tennis has one of the larger variations in the match length among racket sports. Due to the quick nature of play, matches can be over in half an hour. However, table tennis matches between competitive players can take as long as an hour!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?