The best place to start with pickleball classes is to orient yourself with the basics online through resources like Sara Ansboury, Top Court, or High Performance Pickleball Academy. Once you've got the basics down, sign up for local classes and work with a qualified coach 1-on-1 or in a small group.
What is the best way to learn pickleball?
The best way to learn pickleball is through in-person instruction from a pro player or instructor. If you can learn the basics of pickleball online before showing up to your first lesson, you’ll skip some of the learning curve.
New players learn fastest with private pickleball lessons. A good coach can quickly get you up to speed on the rules, common strategies, and guidance on groundstrokes, court positioning, forehands, backhands, lobs, and dinks.
Can you learn pickleball with online classes?
If you’re just starting pickleball, look for a qualified instructor in your community. If there are no coaches near you, you can learn pickleball with online classes.
While in-person instruction is the best way to make progress in pickleball, pickleball classes for beginners can sometimes be difficult to find, depending on the region you’re in and how many qualified coaches are nearby.
Fortunately, some of the best coaches in the world have created online classes and courses to help players learn the game and to get better at it. Eventually, you will need to get on a court and play, but at the start, an online class can be instrumental in getting going and teaching you the fundamentals of the game.
What are the best online pickleball classes?
The best online pickleball classes are those by Sara Ansboury Pickleball Academy, Top Court, and High Performance Pickleball Academy.
Many of these courses are self-paced, allowing you to learn as quickly or slowly as you want to. All of the sites listed below offer a wide range of pickleball lessons designed to help you improve your skills.
There are also a number of free resources available to learn pickleball online, including:
Youtube channel recommendations:
For a brief intro to pickleball, check out:
How to find the best pickleball classes in your area
There are a number of different types of pickleball classes, from private lessons to group classes to clinics and camps. Here’s the best way to find the right one for you.
- Free lessons: The best way to get free (or nearly free) lessons is to join a local pickleball association. Many local pickleball associations have annual fees as low as $25. By joining, you’ll be able to connect with club members and get advice on your game, as well as practice against others at your skill level.
- Paid private lessons: Many pickleball facilities have private instructors available for hire. You can also find an instructor on a site like Global Pickleball Network.
- Paid group lessons: Most private instructors also offer group lessons at a discounted rate (because you’re not getting one-on-one instruction).
- Clinics: Brands like JOOLA Pickleball offer pickleball clinics where you can learn directly from pros like Ben Johns and Allyce Jones.
- Camps: Brands like Nike and Engage Pickleball offer multi-day pickleball camps where you can make a significant amount of progress by getting one-on-one coaching from pro instructors.
Best pickleball lessons for beginners
When looking for a coach, remember—not all coaches are the right fit for beginners.
Many coaches prefer to help take players who are already skilled to the next level. If you are just starting, you should try to find a pickleball coach or instructor who has experience being patient with beginners.
A pickleball clinic for beginners is a great place to start, as you’ll be sure that any coaches attending are excited to instruct beginners.
How much do pickleball lessons cost?
Here are some typical prices for pickleball lessons:
- Private Lesson (1-on-1): $70.00
- Semi-Private Lesson (Two students): $40.00
- Small Group Lesson (Three students): $30.00
- Small Group Lesson (Four students): $25.00
Online lessons vary. Some are free, while some have a modest one-time or monthly cost.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?