The St. Lucie County’s Parks and Recreation Department in Fort Pierce, Florida, is holding another four-week teaching/coaching session for players of all skills at the Havert L. Fenn Center at 2000 Virginia Avenue, FL 34982.
“The Pickleball Guy”
St. Lucie County Parks and Recreation is pleased to announce the return of instructor Dereck Prince, affectionately known as “The Pickleball Guy,” to lead the “Get to Know Your Pickleball Game” program.
This program caters to individuals of all skill levels, including beginners, intermediates, and advanced players, provided they are aged 12 or older.
All sessions will be conducted indoors at the Fenn Center.
Choose Your Level
Participation in the four-week events is available at a cost of $30 per class. Residents should select the category that aligns with their skill level and preferences.
The scheduled dates and times for these sessions are as follows:
Mondays (September. 11, 18, 25; October 2; November 6, 13, 20, 27) from 6 to 7 p.m.
- Week 1: Ball Control Drills; The Serve; Returning the Serve
- Week 2: The Forehand and Backhand Drive/Groundstroke
- Week 3: The Forehand and Backhand Block Volley
- Week 4: The Straight-Ahead Lift Dink; Pickleball Scorekeeping
Tuesdays (September 5, 12, 19, 26; November 7, 14, 21, 28)
- Intermediate sessions run from 3 to 4 p.m., with an additional slot available from 5 to 6 p.m.
- Advanced sessions are scheduled from 4 to 5 p.m., with an extended session from 6 to 7 p.m.
Each week of the program offers a structured curriculum designed to enhance participants’ pickleball skills:
For Intermediate Players
- Week 1: The Push Dink; Cross-Court Dinking
- Week 2: The Forehand and Backhand Volley (The Fast Game)
- Week 3: The Dink Volley; The Drop Shot
- Week 4: Doubles Strategy—Offense and Defense; Mid-Court Defense/Resetting
For Advanced Players
- Week 1: The Offensive Lob; The Overhead Smash; The Lob Return
- Week 2: The Drop Volley; The Backhand Roll; The Erne; The ATP
- Week 3: Slicing and Spinning
- Week 4: Covering the Middle; Poaching; Stacking and Switching
First-Come, First-Served Basis
It’s important to note that space is limited to 12 players for each session, and registration operates on a first-come, first-served basis.
Participants need not worry about providing their own equipment for the “Get to Know Your Pickleball Game” program, but it is advisable to wear suitable athletic attire.
For individuals seeking further information, reach out to the St. Lucie County Parks and Recreation staff at 772-462-1521 or visit stlucieco.gov.
Join in on the pickleball fun and enhance your skills under the guidance of a seasoned instructor!
Dereck is a former table tennis/badminton/tennis player turned pickleball player/Data Analyst/IPTPA Certified Teaching Professional/USA Pickleball Certified Referee/USA Pickleball Registered Pickleball Referee Trainer.
He runs pickleball programs at two facilities in the Vero Beach-Port St. Lucie area of Florida where he also organizes clinics and coaches beginners and intermediates.
He carries out detailed statistical analyses of your game, pinpointing areas where you can improve and elevate the level of your game.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?